- 1920 Girls' School of 8 years;
- 1929 Girls' High School of 8 years;
- 1948 (Girls') Comprehensive Secondary School;
- 1956 Mixed Comprehensive Secondary School;
- 1961 Joined by the Comprehensive School of 8 years, becoming a High School of all-round education, with a physical education profile;
- 1970 "Vasile Roaita" Mathematics and Physics High School;
- 1982 Industrial High School No.7;
- 1990 "Mircea cel Batran" Theoretical High School;
- 1999 "Mircea cel Batran" National College.
Under the Enlightenment influence, a network of comprehensive and technical-professional schools was set up with the purpose to take over primary school graduates, with or without an entrance examination.
There were the following forms of education in Ramnic during the interwar period:
Excellent teachers, an imposing building with spacious and light classrooms and corridors and modern endowments make “Mircea cel Batran” Highschool from Ramnicu Valcea an attractive school for the parents who want to successfully prepare their sons and daughters for life.
- Free and peremptory primary school 1st - 4th grades;
- Comprehensive secondary school;
- Teacher-Training School 1st - 8th grades;
- "Saint Nicholas" School of Theology;
- Vocational School;
- Girls' Housekeeping School;
- Commercial School - inferior course;
- Apprentice technical schools, whose pupils specialized in various trades in private handcraft workshops. Pupils were advised to attend secondary school 5th - 7th grades, especially organized for them.
Rm.Valcea is located in the north of Oltenia, at the foot of the Southern Carpathians, along the Olt River, one of the main rivers of Romania, and on the edge of an arterial road of great importance to the whole country. Situated in the middle of the country and of an area scattered with famous spas and resorts – Calimanesti, Baile Olanesti, Baile Govora – Rm.Valcea has a population which amounts to nearly 120.000 inhabitants, most of them of Romanian ethnicity.
The first document which mentions the existence of the town dates back to 20th May 1388, when the ruler Mircea the Elder referred to the fortification as a “Town of My Reign”.
A few years later, due to a good geographical position, the town became the royal capital which served as a strategic retreat for the royal family. Some of the rulers who honoured this citadel with their presence were Vlad the Impaler, Radu the Great, Patrascu the Good, Radu of Afumati and Neagoe Basarab, but there were many others, like Michael the Brave, Constantin Brancoveanu and Matei Basarab, who cemented close links with the town in the course of history.
In the 18th century, Rm.Valcea hosted great scholars and religious figures such as Antim, Damaschin, Stefan, Inochentie, Climent, Grigore, Partenie, Chesarie and Filaret. At the end of the 19th century, with the help of its great bishop Calinic, Rm.Valcea became an important cultural centre which embarked on the gradual spread of ideas and knowledge in the Romanian language.
The inhabitants of Ramnicu Valcea participated in the 1821, 1848, 1877 and 1916 great events. After the national unity was achieved through the union of Transylvania and Bucovina with Romania, particularly in the inter-war period, Ramnicu Valcea defined its architectural and urban-planning personality, becoming a town appreciated for its quiet natural environment and the therapeutic qualities of the mineral waters nearby.
On 29th July1998, it was 150 years since, according to the then documents, the revolutionary song “Wake up, Romanian” had been officially sung during a demonstration in Zavoi Park. The song became the National Anthem of Romania after the 1989 Revolution.